[asterisk-users] time on polycom 501

David Gomillion david.gomillion at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 10:18:03 CST 2007

Jerry Geis wrote:
> I have a polycom 501 phone that is 1 hour off now.
> Before last sunday (time change) the time was fine.

Google is your friend:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=polycom+daylightSavings&btnG=Google+Search

Top hit fixed it for us.

For the archives, in case the top hit is no longer the top hit (i.e. I'm
feeling unlucky), the result is:
http://knowledgebase.polycom.com/KanisaPlatform/Publishing/996/10627_f.SAL_PUBLIC_1_2.html

and contains this:

Description

*Technical Bulletin 17803*
*SoundPoint® and SoundStation® IP phones require configuration changes
due to changes in daylight saving time (DST) dates.*
*This information applies to:* • SoundPoint IP 300, 301, 430, 500, 501,
600, 601, 650 desktop phones and SoundStation IP 4000 conference phones
*Note:* This information applies to the SoundPoint IP 650, where
software releases exists to support the IP 650 (see Software Release
Notes for platform compatibility).

*SYMPTOMS*

Beginning in 2006, all parts of the State of Indiana will observe
Daylight Saving Time along with the rest of the United States. The
majority of the state will now be in Eastern Time, but there are several
counties near Chicago that will remain in Central Time.

The United States Congress passed a law in 2005 that changes the dates
when US Daylight Saving Time begins and ends starting in 2007. This
affects all US states except Hawaii and Arizona, which do not observe
DST. As of this writing, the Canadian provinces of Ontario, Manitoba,
Quebec, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Alberta, the Yukon and
Northwest Territories, British Columbia, and Nova Scotia have indicated
that they will adopt the same changes, and other provinces and
territories will continue with current procedures.

*RESOLUTION*

With respect to the State of Indiana, no special configuration is
required to support this change, but any special configuration that had
been made previously to exempt phones in Indiana from DST needs to be
removed.

*Note:* The following change cannot be safely made until 6 November
2006, as the old settings are required until that date for 2006 DST to
be calculated correctly.

To configure phones for the new DST rules, the SNTP configuration
section from sip.cfg (or ipmid.cfg in older versions) needs to change as
follows:

tcpIpApp.sntp.daylightSavings.enable="1"
tcpIpApp.sntp.daylightSavings.fixedDayEnable="0"
tcpIpApp.sntp.daylightSavings.start.month="3"
tcpIpApp.sntp.daylightSavings.start.date="8"
tcpIpApp.sntp.daylightSavings.start.time="2"
tcpIpApp.sntp.daylightSavings.start.dayOfWeek="1"
tcpIpApp.sntp.daylightSavings.start.dayOfWeek.lastInMonth="0"
tcpIpApp.sntp.daylightSavings.stop.month="11"
tcpIpApp.sntp.daylightSavings.stop.date="1"
tcpIpApp.sntp.daylightSavings.stop.time="2"
tcpIpApp.sntp.daylightSavings.stop.dayOfWeek="1"
tcpIpApp.sntp.daylightSavings.stop.dayOfWeek.lastInMonth="0"
*Note:* /These changes should be made in the *ipmid.cfg* configuration
file for SoundPoint IP phones running the MGCP application./
*Note:* /There is an error in the display and setting of the DST
‘Start/Stop Day Of Week’ if the web server interface is used to set the
DST rules. When the start date is set to 1 (Sunday) in the *sip.cfg* or
*ipmid.cfg* file, it is displayed as "Monday" in the web server
interface. If you use the web server interface to set the DST start/stop
dates, select "Monday" to obtain a setting of Sunday. This discrepancy
will be fixed in a future software release./
*STATUS*

*Polycom recommends that this configuration change be made.*