[asterisk-users] Bottom line on fax reception

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Wed May 30 08:54:18 MST 2007

On Mon, 28 May 2007, Andrew Joakimsen wrote:

> If you want proper (T.38) fax support then pick up a Cisco AS53xx,
> AS54xx, AS58xx, 2600, 3600, 7200. You need IOS 12.1 or above, double
> check Cisco for specific WIC, RAM and other misc. requirements of
> course!

   ... even then, if you're running it over the Internet or even a slightly
jittery WAN, it won't always work.  I have a 5300 and it's been tried.
Works pretty well over private IP transport, but fails about 25-50% of the
time when run over any substantial segment of the public Internet.

   Also, at least one thing I've run into / heard suggests that the AS5300s
are much better than the 5400s at handling low-speed analog and preserving
data integrity.  I know a CLEC that had to use 5300s in front of their
fax-to-email server to get it to work properly, with the results from the
5400s they otherwise use for MGWs being very mixed.

   Your mileage may vary on that one, though.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems