[asterisk-users] Bottom line on fax reception

Andrew Joakimsen joakimsen at gmail.com
Mon May 28 13:07:15 MST 2007

On 5/24/07, shadowym <shadowym at hotmail.com> wrote:
> So what is the bottom line?  Does it work or not.  I've heard stories it
> works, it doesn't work, it kinda sorta works when it's not raining out side.
> Everything under the rainbow.
>
> What's the bottom line with recent updates on 1.2.x?  Is it production ready
> for fax?  By production ready I mean that it just works all the time and
> doesn't need any babysitting.  Do I have to worry about dropped lines,
> sometimes not detecting incoming fax tone....yada yada.
>
> I know I don't have to use fax on Asterisk but I really want to for various
> reasons.  Mostly incoming but outgoing is a nice to have.  Should I use an
> addon package and if so which one?  Any help would be appreciated.

No. Digium still refuses to include proper faxing support in Asterisk.
OpenPBX is still unstable and developers really aren't too excited
about getting it to work... to much other stuff to fix before they
worry about fax. FWIW OPBX has seemed sort of dead recently.

If you want proper (T.38) fax support then pick up a Cisco AS53xx,
AS54xx, AS58xx, 2600, 3600, 7200. You need IOS 12.1 or above, double
check Cisco for specific WIC, RAM and other misc. requirements of
course!