[asterisk-users] *End Of Life ASTERISK 1.2.X Was: INSTRUCTIONSFOR THE ASTERISK COMMUNITY - PLEASEREAD NOW *

Michael Collins mcollins at fcnetwork.com
Tue May 29 10:41:38 MST 2007

> I think its a fair decision . 1.2 is very stable and they are not
> closing it all together , security issues will still be fixed . They
> need to concentrate more on 1.4 to make it bugfree .

Fair indeed.  I would guess that a completely stable 1.2 w/ security
maintenance is acceptable to the majority of users.  Those folks still
using 1.0.x certainly aren't clamoring for new features!  The great many
folks using 1.2 are happy w/ a stable release and don't necessarily need
new features.  A lot of those folks might consider moving to 1.4 when
the stability issues and bugs are worked out.  Possibly there are
features that they would like to have but they don't want to invest the
time and effort into a migration until they are reasonably confident
that 1.4 will meet their needs.

I think that having the development team be able to focus the majority
of their attention on improving 1.4 is better than having them split
their time between the old and new releases.  I'm feeling like there's
more ROI to be had improving 1.4.

-MC