[asterisk-users] RE: Bottom line on fax reception

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Mon May 28 18:49:36 MST 2007

Quoting Steve Totaro <stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com>:

> [...]

for my application I am more concerned with inbound working, outbound
is just a bonus if it works. one of the big points is when you have a
distributed workforce conventional fax machines don't work out since
you get a paper result in one place and the recipient in another.
Hylafax output can easily be redirected from a general delivery
mailbox, or people can have their own fax extensions or DID to
automate delivery even more. In my application voip itself really
doesn't factor in either, the fax setup is on the same box the analog
lines physically terminate at.

I have had pretty good luck with an old slow machine, ancient
asterisk, low quality channel bank, and a physical fax modem on the
same box as asterisk running hylafax, analog line in - pbx - analog
line out - faxmodem, occasionally I get errors on faxes, and rarely
someone can't get a fax through, but giving them the extension of a
physical fax machine always works. So I am not convinced that problem
is purely to blame on anything other than the far end station.

What I would like to eliminate is the fxs port and physical faxmodem
from the setup and use iaxmodem instead (frees up a port, plus doesn't
need faxmodem at all, and less complicated) it sounds like this sort
of configuration works pretty well according to most of the posters. I
know there are some issues with fax autodetection, but normally the
sender fax is programmed to retry a few times, and failing that, your
answer message could include a message to hit start on the fax machine
if it does not start automatically, or dial an extension manually to
start it.

another thing I like to do is if I scribble something down on a piece
of paper, I just drop it in the fax machine and send it to the fax
modem by calling its extension, I get a nicely scanned pdf in the mail
that I can then forward to  anyone without knowing their fax number or
paying for a fax call, great for emailing diagrams of things without
taking the time to draw them on the computer.

> Thanks,
> Steve Totaro
> www.asteriskhelpdesk.com
>

>> > The variables are very simple for any of these kind of decisions.
> Don't
>> > think about savings, think about costs.
>> >
>> > Costs of equipment
>> > Costs of time (resources) implementing
>> > Costs of maintenance
>> > Costs of losing data (faxes in this case)
>> > Costs of going back and doing it the right way if you find the above
>> > costs are higher than another solution.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Steve Totaro
>> > http://www.asteriskhelpdesk.com
>> > KB3OPB

Jon Pounder

    _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/

Inline Internet Systems Inc.
Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
www.inline.net
www.ihtml.com
www.ihtmlmerchant.com
www.opayc.com