[asterisk-users] vmoutcall

Tom Rymes trymes at cascadelinksystems.com
Mon May 28 06:07:52 MST 2007

On May 24, 2007, at 3:28 PM, Doug Lytle wrote:

> Paul Aviles wrote:
>> Hello guys,
>>
>> I have been looking for a way to call a cell phone after someone
>> has left a
>>
> This can easily be done with database lookups and .call files
>
>> to accomplishing this? Most analog pbx's have this feature and I
>> am amazed
>> Asterisk does not natively.
>
> It can be done natively; within the dial plan.
>
> Doug

An aside, this can also be done using the externnotify option in the
voicemail.conf file. That option allows you to specify an external
script that will run when VoiceMailMain() exits. Watch out, because
(as I just found out yesterday, the hard way), this script is run
both when a voicemail message is left and when a user logs out of
voicemail after checking their messages.

 From there, create a script in your favorite language (a simple
shell script ought to work for your purposes) and have it create a
call file to call out to the user and drop them into a context that
plays an announcement ("You have new voicemail") and then asks them
to confirm with a keypress ("Dial 2 for voicemail"). At that point,
set the IVR up so dialing 2 drops them into Voicemail() and you are
good to go.

Tom