[asterisk-users] TDM bus extension.

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Fri May 25 14:37:48 MST 2007

On Fri, 25 May 2007, William Moore wrote:

> I think what mark was referring to there is dynamic spans.  They
> actually work over a standard ethernet network.  They are configured in
> zaptel.conf and zapata.conf just like any other zaptel device.

   Interesting!  So Zaptel does have native TDMoE capabilities.

   Can anyone comment on successes or failures they've had in using these?
Most of the feedback I've heard even on high-end TDMoE gear has been very
lukewarm.

   Also, what about density?  Has anyone tried putting substantially more
than one quad-span T1 card in an Asterisk box, repeated a couple of times
and clustered together with some level of TDMoE?

   Of course, even if you can stack a PC to the brim with quad-T1 cards and
expect it to actually work, there is the pervasive problem of the fact
that it still can't compare with something as relatively cheap -- and
exponentially more featureful -- as a TNT, which can process multiple DS3s
and serve as a fairly high-volume, high-density media gateway.  How to
compete with that when you can't even take DS3s?

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems