[asterisk-users] Asterisk with Multiple Network Interfaces

David Gomillion david.gomillion at gmail.com
Fri May 25 10:05:25 MST 2007

On 5/25/07, Douglas Garstang <DGarstang at interainc.com> wrote:

>  I have a scenario here with IP phones, on a private 192.168 network
> connecting to an Asterisk box, also on the same 192.168 private network.
> We'd like to have the Asterisk box also be able to send traffic to the
> public IP space. For this, we would need to multi-home the box, and put two
> network cards in it, with two IP addresses, one on each network.

Or route the subnet and put it behind NAT. But yes, your solution is
certainly viable.

I know from past experience that Asterisk only listens on the first
> interface, or a single one if specified. I imagine this will cause all sorts
> of problems with a multi homed approach. Has anyone gotten around this?

I haven't had a problem. Each of our Asterisk servers are multi-homed, and
each talks SIP and IAX on all of the various networks without problems. Make
sure you set Canreinvite=no to people on the outside network or you'll have
audio problems. Other than that, it should be really straightforward.