[asterisk-users] Conference room as Music on Hold

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Thu May 24 15:43:07 MST 2007

On Thu, 24 May 2007, shadowym wrote:

> How can I configure Asterisk so that when musiconhold is invoked it
> automatically joins that conference room?

   Can't say for sure, but the best intuition would be to try to look at
how your phone's "hold" button implements its function on the SIP layer
and see if you can build something into the dial plan and/or features.conf
that would have the effect of placing the user into a MeetMe room.

> The reason I want to do this is because the radio station uses windows
> media and I haven't been able to get it to work directly on Asterisk.
> Even after following the mplayer instructions on the Asterisk wiki.

   Why doesn't it work?  Live transcoding via mplayer should work fine.

   That said, it can be a rather CPU-intensive process and is rather
pointless.  By the time the audio is butchered by that process +
some load, not to mention the underlying nature of a 64kbps 3.1 KHz
speech bearer capability, it won't sound nearly as good as conventional
radio-on-hold most likely.

   Another thing you could try is hook mpg123 into the picture, instead
of using native MP3 decoding.  Set up the WMA to be streamed as MP3 on
some Shoutcast server or something, then feed mpg123 a file that actually
contains a reference to an MP3 stream URI.  See how that works for you.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems