[asterisk-users] WiFi SIP phones

SIP sip at arcdiv.com
Wed May 23 04:21:14 MST 2007

In all honesty, things have NOT moved very far since you last saw them.

Battery life has, overall, gotten somewhat better. Range is still
abominable in most of them, and they're not, as a general rule, all that
easy to deal with. We've mucked about with the Linksys WIP3XX series,
the UTStarCom F1000G, and F3000, and the Nokia WiFi-enabled GSM phones
(E60, E61). Of those we've played with, the Nokias are by far the most
reliable to connect and remain connected (but perhaps the most annoying
to set up).

For in-office stuff, you're still not liable to beat ATAs + DECT phones.
Outside the office, it really doesn't hurt to try and consolidate your
Mobile and SIP service in one of the Nokias that support it (granted, if
you're in the US, you'll have to buy them elsewhere, as the US Mobile
providers have done their best to avoid using any sort of WiFi-capable
GSM phones in their networks (Nokia has, for instance, the E62 for the
US Cingular/AT&T market which is, in every way, like the E61 except that
it doesn't come with WiFi/SIP capability)).

Some people swear by the UTStarCom phones, but we found their support to
be incredibly substandard, their phone programming to be lacking in an
understanding of the market, and their hardware to be flashy (in the
case of the F3000), but troublesome with constant loss of connection and
a difficulty to reestablish.  The Linksys phones are, alas, just as
annoying.

It's kind of a shame, really. One would expect that to be a decent
market -- IP phones that, you know, actually work well. But apparently,
not so much.

N.