[asterisk-users] SIP NOTIFY on voicemail

Mischa Quinn mischa.quinn at gmail.com
Sat May 19 09:34:51 MST 2007

Hello,

If properly configured, does Asterisk 1.2 'push' SIP NOTIFY messages
to registered SIP phones to indicate new voicemail?

I've noticed that Asterisk only sends NOTIFY messages when my phones
periodically (re-) register with Asterisk---rather than immediately
after a new voicemail arrives. Hence, the MWI on my phones only update
when they re-register with Asterisk, which means they effectively have
to poll. Can Asterisk push NOTIFY messages immediately after voicemail
is recorded?

I'm guessing the configuration isn't too far off because the phones do
periodically receive NOTIFY messages that correctly reflect the state
of the voice-mailbox. I double checked sip.conf to ensure that each
phone has a 'mailbox' parameter and that 'checkmwi' is set to 10.

I should note that I also tried configuring one of my phones (Polycom
IP601) to SUBSCRIBE to Asterisk, and while Asterisk 200 OK'ed the
subscription, it didn't seem to have an effect on the issue.

In short, how can I configure Asterisk so that new voicemail will
trigger it to push NOTIFY messages to registered peers?

Thank you in advance!

Mischa