[asterisk-users] Phone losing IP address for a few seconds but doesn't drop call

David Gomillion david.gomillion at gmail.com
Fri May 18 06:33:33 MST 2007

On 5/18/07, Zeeshan Zakaria <zishanov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Recently I've noticed on a customer's GXP-2000 phone that it loses its IP
> addresse for a few seconds, audio goes blank obviously, and after about
> 30-60 seconds get the same IP addresse back and resumes the call. This shows
> that call was not dropped but phone lost connection with the server, whereas
> the caller on the other end was still talking. This is just unacceptable as
> this is effecting his business.

Sounds like DHCP to me. I've not had this problem with a GXP-2000. If it
were me, I would try setting the IP address to a static IP to rule out any
kind of DHCP weirdness.

Now, if it still happens, then it's not really losing its IP; instead, it
will be losing the connection. Or it could be unregistering with the
Asterisk server for some reason, and then re-register 30-60 seconds later.
That's still bad, but it's different than losing one's IP.

One way you may be able to more accurately diagnose the problem would be to
run Ethereal or some other packet sniffer and see if the voice packets get
through your router. If not, fix or replace your router. If so, you'll need
to do more detective work to see if you have a phone problem, configuration
problem, cabling problem, bad port on the switch, etc.

Hope that helps,
David