[asterisk-users] Phone losing IP address for a few seconds but doesn't drop call

Bryan Laird negativeduck at gmail.com
Fri May 18 06:21:56 MST 2007

Does it loose it's IP address consistently and at a designated
interval.  I've seen something similar in a number of various cases
where it was always an issue
of the 'client' device blocking the DHCP renew traffic.  But when it
went into rebinding it would drop $filter and allow the dhcp traffic
back through.

I would say check to see if it occurs at a regular interval and
compare that with the lease times.  Also consider it's sometimes a
good idea if the phone supports it (I don't know if your does)
but setting up a cheap syslog host that can catch the syslog messages
from the unit.  Some units will log why they dropped their network
(ie dhcp) or something.

This was just a wild stab.

On May 18, 2007, at 8:51 AM, Zeeshan Zakaria wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Recently I've noticed on a customer's GXP-2000 phone that it loses
> its IP addresse for a few seconds, audio goes blank obviously, and
> after about 30-60 seconds get the same IP addresse back and resumes
> the call. This shows that call was not dropped but phone lost
> connection with the server, whereas the caller on the other end was
> still talking. This is just unacceptable as this is effecting his
> business.
>
> Apparently this is a router related issue. Its a D-Link DI-624
> router. This happens even when there is no Internet activity at all.
>
> How can this issue be resolved. What are the reasons for losing
> contact with the router. Is there some interference at port 5060,
> bad wiring, or something else?
>
> --
> Zeeshan A Zakaria

Bryan Laird, Sr. Manager CM Operations
Phone: 703-944-9909
                        -+-
Cablemodems are the gateway to the Internet.
The Internet is a gateway to some things that are  better left un-seen.