[asterisk-users] zaptel huge irq problem

Cosmin Prund cosmin.prund at adicomsoft.ro
Fri May 18 00:14:07 MST 2007

I'm no Asterisk expert (nor Linux expert) but I am using my "*" box for multiple things (transparent firewall, NAT box, samba server, poptop server) and for a considerable time I've been running a VmWare server with a Windows XP virtual machine up-and-running at all times! The Windows XP VM was running IIS, Apache, WarFTP and a Firebird database server - all of which got moderate use.

The hardware for my "*" box is what would be considered "moderate-to-cheap": Sempron-something processor (not a big processor, don't remember the exact GHz), enough RAM (I've added 1 Gb of RAM when I've started using VmWare server), a nice motherboard (I remember I specifically looked for a motherboard with the minimum amount of on-board devices, of which I have disabled everything I don't need!). The "extra" hardware on my box includes 2 PCI NIC's (I'm also using the on-board NIC so I've got 3 working NIC's), an TDM400 card with 3 FXO and 1 FXS, and an Diva Eicon Server BRI card for my ISDN connection. I've got 3 HDD's into the box, of which 2 are "old" IDE drivers (parallel ATA) and the other one is SATA.

My VoIP experience has been good, my zaptel timing is pretty good and I can get faxes working on the FXS interface as well (coming in over the ISDN line).

The rationale behind placing the Windows XP virtual machine on the "*" has not been the lack of extra hardware but the desire to keep the number of always-on servers to a minimum. I've since moved the VM off the Asterisk server because I've installed an Windows SBS 2003 server on a considerably more powerful server.

So there it goes, proof that a small-office Asterisk box can do lots and lots of things!