[asterisk-users] zaptel huge irq problem

Stephen Bosch posting at vodacomm.ca
Wed May 16 12:48:16 MST 2007

François Delawarde wrote:

> Stephen Bosch wrote:
>> François Delawarde wrote:
>>
>>> aaah...
>>>
>>> I'm running asterisk in a Xen kernel, but not on a virtual machine
>>> (DomU), only on Dom0, so it's "supposed" to be running on the physical
>>> server (no PCI frontend device, ...). I had seen possible problems with
>>> older versions of Xen, but only with ztdummy timing and on DomU virtual
>>> machines. On Xen mailing list, they all advise to use a digium PCI card
>>> to remove those problems.
>>>

>> You "had seen?" Did you have these problems personally, or are you going
>> by mailing list postings?
>>
> Sorry for not being Scottish anymore, my English is not what it used to
> be a few hundred years ago. I meant that I'm mainly going by mailing
> list postings.

No, there was nothing wrong with the grammar -- I was just suggesting
that you not take the Xen mailing list postings too seriously. Better
get it from someone with personal experience (and it sounds like you've
had plenty of your own personal experience with this issue already).

I don't know of anybody who is using it in a serious production
environment anymore, for the reasons I've already noted. You'll notice
that the release schedule has been, *ahem*, very slow; the mailing lists
are littered with pleading posts from users reporting crashes and
freeze-ups, sometimes catastrophic. Just have a look at the archives.
(The Xensource people are also very quiet, which suggests to me that
they themselves don't know how to address some of problems.)

For hardware, it's just not good enough. It was an interesting academic
project once, but like many such projects, its transition into the
applied world has been rocky at best.

I would love to be proven wrong, preferably sooner than later :)

> Thanks again for your help, and sorry if I was not 'that' convinced on
> your first answer and sent a mail to Xen user mailing list to check if
> they knew that issue (no answer yet). Now I almost believe you a lot. If
> I understand well I have two options, recode Xen or abandon it. I'll
> probably go for the 2nd choice and start looking at other solutions, KVM
> seems to be a good choice and shouldn't interfere much with Asterisk
> (again: as far as mailing lists say).

Hey -- it's no skin off my nose if you want to keep using Xen. I just
think you'll be wasting a lot of your time, which I'm sure is valuable.

Cheers,

-Stephen-