[asterisk-users] DTMF not working using *98, but OK on inbound routes?

Doug Doug at NaTel.net
Thu May 17 11:55:58 MST 2007

At 21:40 5/16/2007, Doug wrote:
 >Has anyone seen anything like this:
 >
 >I dial *98.  Asterisk says "Password?"   I punch in
 >the password, and the system doesn't recognize the
 >tones.
 >
 >However, if I dial my own number and ignore the
 >incoming call, it goes to voicemail, and then
 >I can get into voicemail.
 >
 >I have a sneaking suspicion that Asterisk is
 >somehow not recognizing the DTMF tones somewhere
 >along the way.
 >
 >This happens intermittently with Linksys ATAs and
 >Polycom phones.  Using a Cisco 3640 VOIP router.
 >
 >Any ideas on what to check?

Looks like I found a solution.

Apparently, in Asterisk (1.2.18) the extension needs
to be configured as RFC2833, while in the device
itself, it needs to be set to SIP INFO.

It doesn't make sense, but it seems to work.

Developers, why would this be?  Is this a bug?