[asterisk-users] asterisk setup for church / conference call / speaker system integration

Drew Gibson drew at oanda.com
Thu May 17 09:32:47 MST 2007

Tim Litwiller wrote:
> David Gomillion wrote:
>> On 5/17/07, *Tim Litwiller* <tim at litwiller.net
>> <mailto:tim at litwiller.net>> wrote:
>>
>>     We have several people in our church that recently became
>>     disabled. I am
>>     thinking of setting up an asterisk server and several phone lined so
>>     that they can call in to church during services to listen to the
>>     service.
>>
>> If it were me, I would:
>>
>> 1. create a conference room
>> 2. create a .call file that dials into the speaker system
>> 3. create .call files to dial the participants, muting them
>>
>> This can obviously be scripted very easily. A simple cron job copying
>> the .call files should do nicely. If the disabled persons wish to no
>> longer participate, you can simply delete that .call file;
>> conversely, if you need to add someone, you can just create another
>> one. Then you won't have to worry about incoming phone numbers and
>> coordinating with the private school, you can bring it in when you
>> need it, etc.
>>
> That does simplify it a bit - but is probably not flexible enough. I
> don't want to have to have someone call and request to be added to the
> conference if they are sick sunday morning. We will publish the number
> for anyone in the congregation to use as they need it.  For those that
> always listen at home tho this would work fine.
>
> Oh and we will also want to record the services so that if someone
> wants a copy or to listen later they can call in to listen or we can
> burn then a copy. So I'll need to program a recording menu system that
> is somewhat automated and lists the last few weeks of services by date
> or something.
>
> We are currently using freeconferencecall.com but it is a long
> distance call from church and from all of our members.

Use GotoIfTime to divert incoming calls, only during regular service
times, to a voice menu with a choice of listen live, or make a call to
extension.
Use David's call file suggestion to connect the speakers to the
conference and record (Monitor) that channel.
Have an extension that callers can dial at anytime for a voice menu with
a choice of recordings.

regards,

Drew

--