[asterisk-users] Feasibility Request

Jeremy Mann jmann at txhmg.com
Tue May 15 12:31:04 MST 2007

I have a ton of Nortel MICS/CICS phone systems and am looking for an easy way to integrate them.

Two questions arise:

1.        Is it feasible to use asterisk as a Man in the Middle for a T1 PRI system?  The idea is to intercept outbound calls from the Nortel PBX and redirect them via VoIP to another asterisk box at another branch transparently(thus saving the LD cost).  Otherwise I'd pass the call on to the T1 for outbound processing.  Our Nortel is already PRI equipped, the PRI would just come from the Asterisk box instead of the Telco directly.

2.       Is it feasible to use asterisk as a Man in the Middle for Analog lines?  I'd be using anywhere from 4-12 lines depending on location size.  I'd like to do the same feature as above(intercept outbound calls and redirect them using VoIP if they are inter-office calls.

a.       I'd also like the VoIP trunks to be used for outbound calls in the case of PSTN downtime or busy.  For example, all 4 outgoing lines are in use, person 5 wants to make an outbound call and it gets redirected to one of my T1 offices.  I'd attach their outbound caller ID to make it appear as the call came from that location.
My inevitable hope is to reduce my analog presense in smaller communities to 1 primary Line for 911/emergency calling, and to get a published presense in the community.  I'd then beef up my T1 locations to handle more VoIP based calls.  Currently we're using on the order of 30k minutes a month of LD just intercompany, about 10k external (IntraLATA).

I'd also like any insight or suggestions on uptime.  We're a healthcare organization so 5-9's is what we'll require.

Any suggestions on hardware configs(or better yet, Bids!) would be appreciated as well.  I don't need VoIP capable phones yet, but if the system works well enough we'd probably startup our next location(averaging 3-6 per quarter) with a pure VoIP system with Nortel fallback(again, 5-9's is critical).

I'm located in Dallas, TX for any bids that might include installation.  We have a presense up to about 400 miles west of here.

This e-mail, facsimile, or letter and any files or attachments transmitted with it contains information that is confidential and privileged. This information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) and entity(ies) to whom it is addressed. If you are the intended recipient, further disclosures are prohibited without proper authorization. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, printing, or use of this information is strictly prohibited and possibly a violation of federal or state law and regulations. If you have received this information in error, please notify Texas Health Management Group immediately at 1-817-310-4999. Texas Health Management Group, its subsidiaries, and affiliates hereby claim all applicable privileges related to this information.

believed to be clean.