[asterisk-users] Asterisk High-Capacity Stability

Daryl Jurbala daryl at introspect.net
Mon May 14 11:55:38 MST 2007

On May 14, 2007, at 1:29 PM, Zoa wrote:

> Several people do use it for handling > 50k minutes a day. (I'm one
> of them).
> Yes, you need to know what you are doing, and have a nice design,
> but it is possible.Our code is only slightly altered. (mainly for
> billing purposes).

That's great if you're good enough/have the time to make that
happen.  But when I have issues and call/pay Digium and don't get
timely or meaningful answers, it's doesn't make for a good business
decision to continue using it for that purpose when I can toss in a
Nextone or Sansay and have it "just work".  All the time.  No
babysitting.  Full professional and timely problem resolution from
the vendor, etc, etc, etc.  Don't even get me started on Digium not
being able to get TC400Bs to properly negotiate g.723.1 5.3k when a
client requests 6.3k first (thank god for Cantata).

I guess it all comes down to whether you want things to just work and
be able to have tier 1/2 support capable of actually doing anything
meaningful, or if you want to have the engineering level people
forced to do all the work.  From my standpoint, the smart business
decision is quite clear.

But, as I said, Asterisk is still driving the feature servers, and
works well for it.  As mentioned by someone else previously in the
thread, it makes a great endpoint.

If you're having good success with it, that's fantastic.  I would
hope that you contribute back to the list how you set things up to
make this a possibility.