[asterisk-users] Dry Copper Pair

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Sun May 13 09:50:41 MST 2007

Quoting Stephen Bosch <posting at vodacomm.ca>:

> C F wrote:
>> Stephen i disagree. growing up in new work city i can say its quite
>> easy to get away with it in the city. where i live now in new jersey
>> (population of around 60000) i wouldnt be able to pull that off.
>
> The world is a big place, and I suppose there's room for all kinds. In
> these parts, the vigilance is pretty high. The pillars are padlocked
> now; they didn't use to be, and the COs are locked down like Fort Knox.
>
> Anyway, I know enough more than one person who has landed in the clink
> for treating the telco like a personal lab.

what exactly was the charge ?

- trespass - no its public land for the most part this stuff is on so
that doesn't apply
- vandalism/mischief - if no other customer was impacted I don't see
how this charge would stick since there is no measurable damages.
- theft of service ? Going rate for dry copper is under $20/month/pr
so to get up into the 5-10k level that might justify a higher level
theft charge with jail time that would take some time to add up.
Stealing cable TV/satellite probably works out to about 3x the monthly
rate of dry copper and I have never heard of anyone being told
anything more than disconnect it when they get caught.

I am not trying at all to justify the moral aspect of theft, I am just
making a point that I have never heard of anyone even getting in
trouble, let alone jail.

The other issue is what crime would be involved in assisting the telco
to deliver a better level of service by doing work yourself ?

For example I often do as much work on their side of the demarc as
possible when I have an order pending, then I know its done the way I
would have wanted it. I have never got anything other than a thank you
when the installer shows up and I just tell them where to make the
final connection.

Here is another what if - we had an adsl service in Mississauga at one
point that would never quite work properly, finally got the answer -
the line has a bridge tap on it somewhere but we won't remove it. WTF
? they contract to supply a service, now have an explanation why its
substandard yet won't fix it ? The point became moot as we cancelled
the service eventually, but say I had stuck my tone generator on it,
and walked back down the road to the CO and poked around till I found
the bridge tap and removed it.

What would they charge me with ? I'm only helping them fulfil a
contractural obligation they don't seem to want to meet. The way it
ended was they preferred to lose the account entirely rather than fix
a problem they knew about.

The other issue that hasn't even been touched in this thread is how
easy it is to just tap someone's line when everything is so exposed
like this. The tap might get found, but if it was a line powered radio
transmitter, chances of tracing back to the installer are minimal
unless someone saw it get installed.

> -Stephen-

Jon Pounder

    _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/

Inline Internet Systems Inc.
Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
www.inline.net
www.ihtml.com
www.ihtmlmerchant.com
www.opayc.com