[asterisk-users] Rapid DTMF missing digits

Bryan Laird negativeduck at gmail.com
Sat May 12 04:39:14 MST 2007

Yea that was my first guess until I saw the packet dump prove out
that the ATA was transmitting it.  Eh, let me go searching through
the bug lists see if I can find something in older versions.

On May 11, 2007, at 3:04 PM, Matt wrote:

> I have actually seen this behaviour on 1.2.x.   I always assumed it
> was just me dialing too fast for the ATA.
>
> On 5/11/07, Bryan Laird < negativeduck at gmail.com> wrote:
> Version 1.4.2 but to be honest I have no reason at all to suspect
> that this is a problem with the asterisk software.
>
>         I've able to replicate this from a few different "client" net
> connections and a across a few different linksys ata's.  Where when
> you call into the
> host and enter the extension to connect to you miss the last digit of
> the extension.  Almost every time you miss the last digit of the
> extension
> (in a 4 digit extension).  My suspicion is simply because of the
> network we are currently using to host the asterisk box, as a packet
> dump on the
> lan segment clearly showed that the ATA transmitted all digits
> (rfc2833) but the asterisk host only recieved 3 of the 4.  The second
> you dial
> slower everything works fine; also the lines for "voice" are clear
> with no noticeable impairments.  I'm more curious if anyone else has
> ever run
> into a similar problem and what the resolution was if they found one
> (IE a sturdier net connection for the asterisk host),  or Tweaking
> the timers
> on the ata's to slow down how fast and how long they transmit
> digits.  I've done a few different tests and if I use a 'softphone'
> dialing directly into
> the server things work perfectly.  I can dial as fast as I want,
> however when I come in through the pstn trunks through the upstream
> provider I find this problem.
>
> has anyone else ever seen this?  Or seen a case where mis-matched
> dtmf modes across multiple providers causes this problem?
>
> minor detail on what I referred to as the 'pstn trunks' I have no
> analog or digital circuts all handoffs are sip.

Bryan Laird, Sr. Manager CM Operations
Phone: 703-944-9909
                        -+-
Cablemodems are the gateway to the Internet.
The Internet is a gateway to some things that are  better left un-seen.