[asterisk-users] Dry Copper Pair

Stephen Bosch posting at vodacomm.ca
Fri May 11 23:09:29 MST 2007

Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> On Friday 11 May 2007 5:45 pm, Jon Pounder wrote:
>> again, I'm interested to know anyone whose actually done this, and what
>> the results were, since I have been thinking of the same thing for a
>> while.
>
> I'd run about two dozen of these things using a variety of equipment.
> Pairgain SDSL modems (300S), Flowpoint 2200s, Speedstream
> something-or-others... hell we even used the flowpoints and speedstreams with
> an SDSL DSLAM.
>
> It works reasonably well in-town, and gets you around a megabit to two,
> depending on distance.  lowest speed I did was about 384kbps, and highest was
> 2048.  All these rates are symmetrical, BTW.
>
> In Canada you ask for either a "Class A signal channel" or a dry pair,
> depending on whether you are talking to the voice or data guys.  You need to
> get in good with the local tech, too, because if there *ARE* coils, Bell will
> NOT remove them for you, on the record.  The voice circuits have an
> identifier starting with TVCSNA, and the data circuits CCLADA.

It shocks me to hear that Bell will even accommodate the dry pair
request in the first place.

The earlier comments are on the mark -- you spend so much time and
effort trying to track down someone who has even the slightest clue, it
makes you wonder if it's worth it at all.

God forbid you should have a problem with the pair once it's in, up and
running. If that happens, you'd better have friends on the inside.

-Stephen-