[asterisk-users] Dry Copper Pair

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Fri May 11 15:57:32 MST 2007

On Friday 11 May 2007 5:45 pm, Jon Pounder wrote:
> again, I'm interested to know anyone whose actually done this, and what
> the results were, since I have been thinking of the same thing for a
> while.

I'd run about two dozen of these things using a variety of equipment.
Pairgain SDSL modems (300S), Flowpoint 2200s, Speedstream
something-or-others... hell we even used the flowpoints and speedstreams with
an SDSL DSLAM.

It works reasonably well in-town, and gets you around a megabit to two,
depending on distance.  lowest speed I did was about 384kbps, and highest was
2048.  All these rates are symmetrical, BTW.

In Canada you ask for either a "Class A signal channel" or a dry pair,
depending on whether you are talking to the voice or data guys.  You need to
get in good with the local tech, too, because if there *ARE* coils, Bell will
NOT remove them for you, on the record.  The voice circuits have an
identifier starting with TVCSNA, and the data circuits CCLADA.

These days though, we just order "nekkid DSL" and get dialtone but no ability
to dial anything but 911, and the line's connected to their DSLAM.

-A.