[asterisk-users] Dry Copper Pair

Stephen Bosch posting at vodacomm.ca
Fri May 11 23:00:28 MST 2007

Jon Pounder wrote:
>> Who said I wanted to run DSL over it :)
>
> no one - I'm sure you really just want to run 110baud modem over it :)
>
> and I'm sure you probably don't want a handful of them between the same 2
> locations either.
>

> btw - here is an interesting strategy to get fibre or something better
> than you have at low cost, find out how many analog lines are available on
> the street in front of you, place an order for N+1 lines. Wait for the
> installation to happen, then cancel the lines after paying for a month.
>
> Depending how saturated the area is, this can be a cheap way to force an
> upgrade and either get your analog lines delivered on t1 or get fibre to
> the building etc.

You know what happens when you try that? The carrier sticks you with the
cost of the upgrade.

Try that with Telus and they will happily hand you a bill for the new
fibre run. The carriers aren't stupid; besides, what's your alternative?
 There isn't one. All the low-hanging fruit has been upgraded already.
They know this. (Calgary Metro has lots and lots of fibre running every
which way, and there's usually half a dozen ways to provision a
location; but woe is you if you're in an industrial park out in the sticks.)

What's more -- with the cost of those n+1 lines (even for a month),
you're usually just better off making a requisition for fibre and paying
the drop charge.

What's more likely to happen is that they'll just refuse to fulfill your
order.

-Stephen-