[asterisk-users] Dry Copper Pair

Jon Pounder jonp at inline.net
Fri May 11 14:45:39 MST 2007

> On Fri, 11 May 2007, John Treble said something to this effect:
>
>> Can you still do “homebrew” PTP T1 in the U.S. this way?  I thought this
>> was nixed by the ILEC/CLECs years ago.
>
>    It's logically possible.  But if you're trying to do T1 over a single
> pair, you'd have to break it out using HDSL/PairGain sort of line
> equipment, since you obviously can't install field repeaters or do any
> span conditioning yourself.

>From what I know about it - even with the hdsl you are only going to get
it to work at full speed over about 10000 cable ft, then you need a
repeater of some sort - if it was just a raw T1, you're not going to get
anywhere near the 10000 ft to start with.

the dry copper is a cheap install since they DON'T do the line
conditioning - remove load coils, etc, but if your reach was only 10000ft
to start with you're not likely to have load coils etc anyway, and if the
line is that bad where its got grounds or shorts you would be within your
rights to demand that be fixed even for dry copper.

The question is really can you get dry copper short enough cable ft to
span the locations you need and still work with whatever hardware you want
to throw on the ends of it ?

as far as the conditioning, you could probably even get 20000ft without
coils if the CO is halfway in the middle since the coils would be based on
the radius from the CO in the first place, but then again is your hardware
going to reach that distance and be able to maintain any sort of decent
transfer rate ?

again, I'm interested to know anyone whose actually done this, and what
the results were, since I have been thinking of the same thing for a
while.

 From then on it's a crapshoot and really
> just depends on whether the copper is of quality, distance,
> specifications,
> etc. that can support the specification.  There's no way for them to "nix"
> that, really, other than possibly keeping load coils or other constraining
> stuff on the facilities that tends to need to be removed for various
> high-speed data line / private line applications.
>
> -- Alex
>
> --
> Alex Balashov
> <sasha at presidium.org>_______________________________________________

Jon Pounder

   _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/

Inline Internet Systems Inc.
Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
www.inline.net
www.ihtml.com
www.ihtmlmerchant.com
www.opayc.com