[asterisk-users] Dry Copper Pair

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Fri May 11 14:30:39 MST 2007

On Fri, 11 May 2007, John Treble said something to this effect:

> Can you still do “homebrew” PTP T1 in the U.S. this way?  I thought this
> was nixed by the ILEC/CLECs years ago.

   It's logically possible.  But if you're trying to do T1 over a single
pair, you'd have to break it out using HDSL/PairGain sort of line
equipment, since you obviously can't install field repeaters or do any
span conditioning yourself.  From then on it's a crapshoot and really
just depends on whether the copper is of quality, distance, specifications,
etc. that can support the specification.  There's no way for them to "nix"
that, really, other than possibly keeping load coils or other constraining
stuff on the facilities that tends to need to be removed for various
high-speed data line / private line applications.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov   <sasha at presidium.org>