[asterisk-users] List of telemarketers??

Tim Koehler digiumlist at googlemail.com
Thu May 10 06:01:35 MST 2007

I don't want to desilussionate you, but my experience is the same.

Caller ID is not a really usable Filter mechanism.

In the past I had an account where I was able to completly set my outgoing
caller ID. It could even be non standard conform numbers like more or less
then 11 digit US numbers, or only 3 digit numbers, etc.

These Caller ID's were set on network side, so they were transported even
over carrier borders. (I could call myself on my cellphone with my cellphone
number as outgoing caller ID).

I have been on callcenter world in Berlin this year, were all the "wolves"
meet. They invest a lot of money to reach you and faking a caller ID is I
assume one of their easiest tricks.

I would be happy if you could prove me wrong :).

Cheers

Tim

On 5/10/07, Dave Bour <dcbour at desktopsolutioncenter.ca> wrote:

>  As this is a thread off a topic I spun off another thread...some
> thoughts...or a pooled database of numbers not listed..doesn't even need to
> be telemarketers.
> 1. track the hit count.and last used..collecitvely..see if a number is
> still being used...
> 2. name against the company...
> 3. a list of bogus entries..so when you look at it, you know it's a fake
> phone number...one that recently came in that got me thinking this was 407
> 111 1111.  Right away, I knew it was a spammer/telemarketer since it's not a
> valid number...and I was on the offence answering the phone...
>
> In fact, a possible update to the blacklist function in asterisk is a
> database tracking of it's usage.  is it a one of that hit me once..never
> called back...
>
> and another issue is the charity type...what's blacklist to you may not be
> to me, ie..clothing pickup donation charitys...they really annoy me calling
> several times a week, but one, I don't block as they're good, their caller
> id is accurate and they actually leave a message with a number offering you
> to call back if you have something to pick up (granted it's a recording that
> does that but at least it's not a hangup).  Some may wish to block all
> those... Political donation type numbers are another one that irk some but
> not others.
>
> By putting names against the number and "classification"...you could at
> least then choose to blacklist once the first call comes in, based on
> accurate caller id info.

> *Subject:* RE: [asterisk-users] List of telemarketers??
>
>  Things that will make your idea difficult.
>

> Although telemarketers are supposed to send their CallerID, many if not
> most, I see "Unkown".  I believe this is illegal but I see it many times a
> day.
>

> I worked at a company with over one thousand toll free numbers, simply
> changing outbound CallerID to another number defeats your scripts.  I could
> also change the actual DNIS of these calls, so a telemarketer could easily
> defeat your mechanism and still be legal.
>

> I could also send any arbitrary ten digit CallerID and DNIS which looks
> better to the callee than "Unknown" but cannot be associated to a particular
> telemarketer.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve Totaro
> http://www.asteriskhelpdesk.com/
> KB3OPB

> *Subject:* Re: [asterisk-users] List of telemarketers??
>

> Thanks everyone for the responses, encouragement and offers to help.
> I will get started on this shortly and circle back with you guys.
> If someone has a starter list, it would help jump start the
> efforts/motivation :-)
>
> Ritesh
>

>  On 5/9/07, *Noah Miller* <noahisaacmiller at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Ritesh -
>
> > Does anyone know if there is a known list of telemarketers?
> [...]

snom technology AG

Tim Koehler
Partner Manager
tim.koehler at snom.de