[asterisk-users] Semi-OT: useful things to do with XML browsers inphones

Dean Collins Dean at cognation.net
Thu May 3 08:19:54 MST 2007

Hi Chris,
I'd also like to see more development in this area.

It's continually disappointed me that more cross platform information
delivery applications aren't being developed on asterisk.

When I paid the first bounty to someone to write the weather text to
speech routine it wasn't because someone asked for it - the idea came to
me because I knew that Asterisk had FTP capabilities and that
Asterisk at Home had just introduced text to speech so I was trying to work
out what could this speech functionality be used for.

I knew that the NOAA had these flat text files readily available which
is how come I paid someone $50 to write the now infamous weather
routine.

At the time I did this I thought it was the start of something new and
wonderful and that a slew of Text to Speech routines would be written
for Asterisk......
As far as I know I haven't seen a single one since.

Flat text file information for stocks, indices, exchange rates, sports
etc are readily available........I guess no one has seen a file they
wish to access via audio for the moment (or they have and haven't posted
the code to share)

So my offer to you is this;
If you can write a code and then gpl it to the Asterisk community to
stream a ftp sourced (or some other transfer command driven by the
display or keypad) txt file onto the handset browser page for at least 3
brands of handsets (Polycom must be one of them) then I'll start the
bounty of $100

So basically write a code that I can download the NY weather txt file
from NOAA and display the txt on my polycom 501 and I'll paypal you or
anyone else $100
Some other cool files would be sunrise/sunset. I can basically set up my
wifes handset on the trixbox server in our home to display this and no
need for her to check the weather channel each morning.

You might also want to check out Adhearsion.com as I understand Jay has
been writing some code to make browser displays cross brand compatible.

Regards,

Dean Collins
Cognation Pty Ltd
dean at cognation.net