[asterisk-users] VPN between Asterisk server and phone client

Kai-Uwe Jensen kujensen at gmail.com
Wed May 2 15:39:01 MST 2007

On 5/2/07, Steve Totaro <stevetotaro at hotmail.com> wrote:
> That is really a cool idea to add it on demand in the dialplan.  Was the
> wait(10) required to get the VPN up or could you set it to a lower
> number?  It seems OpenVPN connects pretty darn quickly.  Did you ever
> run into issues where wait(10) was not long enough?

If I remember right, the average connect time was between 3 and 4
seconds. I just wanted to give myself some wiggle-room. And one of my
two servers was on a slow link.

Of course, instead of waiting a fix amount of time, you could easily
code some test into the dialplan to determine whether the remote end
is up yet. Could be as easy as "System(ping -c 1 -W 300 target_IP")
and use the return code (1 if it couldn't ping the remote end) to help
decide where to branch: into the Dial statement or another one second
Wait().

Never needed to go beyond a 10 sec Wait in my setup.

Kai-Uwe
--
"I am Dyslexic of Borg. Fusistance is retile. Your ass will be laminated!"