[asterisk-users] Re: How many users can be supported simultaneously?

Salvatore Giudice Salvatore.Giudice at VoIPSecurityTraining.com
Wed May 2 10:06:54 MST 2007

CPU becomes more important if there is a lot of codec conversion. Memory becomes more important in supporting the overall volume of calls. Network resources are obviously limited by bandwidth.

A 2.4ghz xeon with 1gb ram can easily handle 80+ calls is there is no codec conversion or the call terminates to a TDM card with an onboard DSP. If the box had to do codec conversion or emulate a DSP I would likely add a second CPU. In the past we looked at setting up high density gateways using 3 x Sangoma 8-port T1 cards and a dual/quad xeon 3.0ghz with 12gb of memory. Theoretically, it should work, but we never got around to testing it.

Anyone setup a high density gateway and operated it under load?

Salvatore Giudice
Salvatore.Giudice at VoIPSecurityTraining.com

VoIP Security Training, LLC
http://VoIPSecurityTraining.com

848 N. Rainbow Blvd. #1676
Las Vegas, NV 89107