[asterisk-users] Testing Asterisk and Zaptel

Martin Smith martins at bebr.ufl.edu
Wed May 2 06:17:15 MST 2007

Hello Asterisk-Users,

My organization is putting together a VoIP setup with Asterisk for a
call center, and we currently have two identical machines for
redundancy. How do you test your redundant machines? How do you test for
load problems? Do you have a strategy or regular plan?

I'm most concerned about load testing Zaptel, as Zaptel + Load is the
quickest way to "out" any problems for us when they exist. We have 3 x
PRI circuits, and we'd specifically love some suggestions for ways to
load test our Zaptel cards without needing to interrupt service  on the
PRIs (I've heard of a crossover-ish cable that may do that, but I
haven't been able to find any more about it?).

If it helps, our PRIs look like: span=1,1,0,esf,b8zs.

We'd love to load test those (Zaptel) and perhaps other parts of the
setup, and we'd like to do this for our redundant machine and our
primary, active one. We can't really give up the PRIs without some
downtime, so we're specifically interested in solutions that allow a
primary machine to remain in operation while testing a secondary, and
without using up the PRI circuits for testing (but we want to test our
cards for load).

Thanks!

Martin Smith, Systems Developer
martins at bebr.ufl.edu
Bureau of Economic and Business Research
University of Florida
(352) 392-0171 Ext. 221