[asterisk-users] Unsetting Global Vars

Yuan LIU yliu11 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 30 02:11:13 MST 2007

>From: Johann Hoehn <johann.hoehn at ecommerce.com>
>Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 16:45:28 -0500
>
>How do I clear a global variable for good?  I have a situation of
>needing to use global variables to aide in channel communication, but
>will be changing the name within a defined scope.

Not sure if I understand what "clear a variable" mean.  I don't think there
is a concept like "unset" in Asterisk.  If you want to make sure a used
variable does not cause side effects, simply set it to null string.

>Additional Background...
>I want to get a variable from a channel (child) that is created by
>another channel (parent), however the execution of the parent channel
>does not continue until the child channel is gone.  So I want to use a
>global variable as 'scratch' space and later the parent to grab it.
>Basically I need to be able to do the opposite of variable inheritance.
>I need to propagate a variable status up the channel chain instead of down.

I feel the need to propagate a variable up the chain from time to time.  But
I still don't understand why this is necessary in your case, much less how
this relates to the need to unset.  Maybe you can give more specifics, even
pseudo code.

Yuan Liu