[asterisk-users] Doorphone vs. Grandstream BT101

Jay Milk ast-users at skimmilk.net
Wed Mar 28 12:10:01 MST 2007

Steve Totaro wrote:
> OK....
>
> Anyways...  You could still use a Grandstream ATA and just have your
> doorbell switch actually be the hook switch for the line, use the h
> extension to continue ringing phones, send an SMS, jabber message or
> whatever.  Just set the auto dial in the ATA.

I got a grandstream on order, so I'll try that out.
> Or you could just use a regular old doorbell or one of the wireless
> units sold at Radio Shack, Sears, Wal-Mart, and everywhere.  It pains me
> to say it, but not everything needs to integrate with Asterisk.
> Sometimes a doorbell should just be a doorbell, why make things more
> complicated than they need to be?

I currently do have a good ole doorbell, and a $10-direct-from-hong-kong
wireless doorbell, with the transmitter triggered by the existing
solenoid via reed-switch.  However, we're finishing the walk-up attic
this year, moving my office up on the third floor, so an intercom is in
order.  In that context it makes perfect sense to use the existing phone
system and integrate the doorbell, wouldn't you agree?