[asterisk-users] PoE - IEEE 802.3af

Noah Miller noahisaacmiller at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 09:52:21 MST 2007

Hi Mike -

> You don't need to change any wiring.  Just be sure that the LAN wiring
> terminates at a PoE LAN switch (PoE would not be passed through an
> intermediate switch).

One little caveat:  Depending on the PoE mode, you may need to use all
four pairs of the Cat 5 cable of your network wiring.  I'm not sure
which mode the Polycom PoE cables prefer, but Mode A PoE uses the same
two pairs (1-2, 3-6) as 100BASE-TX Ethernet, while Mode B PoE uses the
other two pairs (4-5, 7-8).  Most good network wiring will use all
four pairs, but some wiring installations will only use two pairs, so
it's probably a good idea to just double-check that yours uses all
four pairs.

- Noah