[asterisk-users] Re: how to define a pilot number

David Cook dbc_asterisk at advan.ca
Tue Mar 27 03:42:24 MST 2007

> is it possible to define a pilot number in asterisk, say I have 3
direct
> lines and I want one of those direct lines to be used as pilot number?
> When that number is contacted it will be redirected to  the  available
 zap
> and original zap that receive it will be freed to receive another
call.
> It can only be used when all 2 lines ares used.
Lito

I'm assuming you are talking about analog lines as PRI's will do this
more-or-less naturally.

This is a telco feature as opposed to an Asterisk feature. Here in Bell
Canada country they call it "Ringer Equivalence". Call your local
carrier and they should be able to tell you what they call it in their
marketing world. You tell the telco which lines you want the calls to
"roll" to then all three will terminate calls to the pilot number.

Now it doesn't work exactly as you had described - it doesn't move the
call so as to free up the first port. It merely says the first port is
busy and terminates the next call on the next port in sequence. This
means you can't count on which line is "available" at any time. For
outbound, you need to put the three lines in an Asterisk group and test
the group for availability to select an available line to dial out on.

dbc.
--
David Cook