[asterisk-users] SRTP vs ZRTP in Asterisk

Michael Graves mgraves at mstvp.com
Mon Mar 26 14:32:18 MST 2007

Hi All,

I've been reading about Phil Zimmermann's ZRTP encryption scheme for
SIP clients. This seems attactive but I don't use soft phones. I'm
guessing that we'd need ZRTP support in Asterisk in
order to use it to secure calls from hard phones.

There seem to be issues with SRTP key exhange between various devices.
So much so that the IETF is working on a standardization project. ZRTP,
which is one of the proposals before the
IETF,  overcomes this. Since Zimmermann has open sourced the protocol I
would hope that it could be implemented in Asterisk without too much
trouble.

Does the current work on SRTP extend into ZRTP?

Michael