[asterisk-users] Doorphone vs. Grandstream BT101

Jon Pounder jonp at inline.net
Sun Mar 25 18:50:55 MST 2007

> Eric "ManxPower" Wieling wrote:
>> Steve Totaro wrote:
>>> Just get a Grandstream ATA and a handset with no buttons.  So simple.
>>
>> Do you know of any vendors with inexpensive handsets without buttons?
>>
> I know of some that have the buttons on the cradle and the hook switch
> on the handset, that would work.  If you just took the cradle out of the
> picture and rigged up a little hook for the wall mount.

I've had a $10 walmart special outside for at least 6 years now (under a
porch roof but it still gets rain on it and routinely gets snow collecting
on top of it), but still going strong.

My dialplan just reacts to the offhook and ignores the keypad on that
phone. The original plan was for it to be disposable, but it shows no sign
of needing replacement.

Probably a $100 phone would have needed replacing long ago. One note about
phones for outside (and alarm keypads and anything else like that) - lcds
can freeze and crack if they get cold enough (very cold). so stay away
from them for outside phones. I deliberately went led with my exterior
alarm keypad for the same reason, and its holding up fine too.

> Maybe this would work, but I am sure you can find something sleek like
> this for ~$10.  Certainly not weather proof but more so than a BT101.
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ELVOX-Handset-Security-Door-Entry-Phone-8872_W0QQitemZ150098450949QQcategoryZ48636QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>
> Thanks,
> Steve Totaro
> www.asteriskhelpdesk.com
> KB3OPB

Jon Pounder

   _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/

Inline Internet Systems Inc.
Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
www.inline.net
www.ihtml.com
www.ihtmlmerchant.com
www.opayc.com