[asterisk-users] Doorphone vs. Grandstream BT101

Jay Milk ast-users at skimmilk.net
Sun Mar 25 16:21:51 MST 2007

Steve Totaro wrote:
> Jay Milk wrote:
>> Doug Lytle wrote:

>>> I have this setup now, but don't recall the short beep.  It may be
>>> configurable.

>>> Correct.

>>> I have several, I can check this weekend.

>>> I would have to say correct as well, since I'm using it as a paging
>>> unit and it does hang up after playing back the audio file.
>>>

>>> Something to consider, the BT101's speak phone has no Echo
>>> cancellation whatsoever and sounds just awful in a two way
>>> conversation.
>>>
>>> Doug
>> Thanks to Dave and Doug for the quick responses.  I'm looking forward
>> to hearing the response on #3, but I think I'll get get one of these
>> devices to play with this weekend.  At worst, it'll be a usable
>> garage or basement phone.
>>
>> Doug, I didn't even consider audio-quality on this, as even with the
>> most rudimentary speaker phone circuits, phones seem pretty usable
>> these days.  I was planning to put this in a custom door-box anyway,
>> along with a water-resistant speaker (plastic membrane).  Considering
>> our wide-open porch and some physical separation of the mic/speaker,
>> the echo may not be as much of an issue as protection from the elements.
>> And contrary to what someone asked me in private, wiring isn't an
>> issue -- I do have cat5 at the door bell :)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> JM
>>
> A few notes about your idea.
>
> Yes it will work, you can set it auto answer, you can also set it to
> dial a number automatically when taken off-hook in addition to
> pressing the message button.
>
> You will probably want some sort or script to reboot the phone
> regularly (everyday) or it will just stop working (lose registration
> with *).  The speaker phones really do stink on these but for a simple
> doorphone application, it should be fine and may even function better
> with the water-resistant mods you are doing.
>

> You actually do not even need cat5 (even though you have it) you can
> run 10mbit over cat3.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Thanks again -- I know they're iffy, but for the price, they should
function well enough.  I've read about the auto-dial feature, but a
hook-switch isn't really an option for a door-phone application, as most
folks will hit the call-button more than once for good measure.  If I
connected it to the speakerphone/hook button, then the call would be
hung-up before it rang the phones.  I needed a one-shot button, such as
the message button.