[asterisk-users] Doorphone vs. Grandstream BT101

Anselm Martin Hoffmeister anselm at hoffmeister-online.de
Sat Mar 24 13:26:26 MST 2007

Am Samstag, den 24.03.2007, 11:43 -0400 schrieb Steve Totaro:

> You will probably want some sort or script to reboot the phone regularly
> (everyday) or it will just stop working (lose registration with *).  The
> speaker phones really do stink on these but for a simple doorphone
> application, it should be fine and may even function better with the
> water-resistant mods you are doing.

I only saw that behaviour with an unreliable network cable - actually,
the tab of the only free ethernet cable that ran behind my desk had
broken, so the plug would not sit perfectly. This could do all kinds of
things to the BT101, losing connection during a call being the obvious
phenomenon. Sometimes, that phone crashed hard, only power-cycling would
do.

Replacing the cable solved this problem.

> You actually do not even need cat5 (even though you have it) you can run
> 10mbit over cat3.

Right. But who uses cat3 these days, with cable prizing as it is? I run
CAT5 everywhere instead of any low-voltage phone line or whatever, just
to be future proof.

I have an old PC mouse, with a RJ45 plug, that features two LEDs and
open the garage door, giving a door status feedback. Just a free CAT5
from the hall to the basement, and it looks nice, somehow techy :-)

BR
Anselm