[asterisk-users] Re: RE : SIP/IAX peers UNREACHABLE and audio loss

Martin Joseph ast at stillnewt.org
Sat Mar 24 12:07:06 MST 2007

On 2007-03-24 01:53:16 -0700, Edoardo Serra
<edoardo.serra at webrainstorm.it> said:

> Hi Francois,
>
> f6hqz-m at hamwlan.net ha scritto:
>> Hi men,
>>  I have already encountered some issue like this with few switches (very
>
>> known great brand)  which doesn't like VoIP traffic !
>
> I also have switches of a very known great brand !!
> It was so strange to me that I didn't consider a network problem...
>
>> Check by drectly connected the VoIP equipment - if you can - with
>> temporary long Ethernet cables bypassing the tested switch to see what
>> happens in this case.
>
> I'd try to bypass the switch someway but every server neeeds to have
> its own public ip address..
> I'll put an RTP proxy somewhere...
>
>> You can also tell to "qualify" with a longer delay, but this could not
>> help in case of regulary frames losses.
>
> What about turning qualify off ?
> Do you think taht Asterisk is stopping RTP when it loose a qualify packet  ?
> Or is the RTP traffic itself that is lost by the switches ?

The fact that qualify fails means you have a network issue.  The same
reason qualify fails (ie servers can't communicate) is the reason your
users are experiencing quality issues in call.

turn off Qualify isn't going to fix anything IMO.  It's just going to
hide it from you.

If the asterisk servers are all on your LAN then the network issue
should be easily fixable.  If the Asterisk servers are at remote
locations and are using public internet, you might have problems
resolving this completely.

Marty