[asterisk-users] Asterisk with Dialplan or TrixBox for this case?

Brian McEntire brian.mcentire at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 10:57:38 MST 2007

Hi all -
Been using Asterisk installed on Debian and love it. But it's time to
rearrange some lines and looking for a few features I didn't enable or
have in the dial plan the first time around and wondering if you would
recommend doing it through configs again or if one of the prepackaged
solutions would more easily support these needs. One that caught my
eye was TrixBox but I'd be open to other suggestions.

I have a Wildcat TDM400 (IIRC) with 2 FXS and 2 FXO ports. Currently
I'm terminating a POTS line and a VoicePulse VOIP line (via the
supplied adapter) into the FXS ports  (forgive me if I confused the
FXO/FXS it gets me every time.)

I have the dialplan set up to ring all extensions when either incoming
line rings. Ring available extensions if one is in use. For dial out,
it only dials out the VOIP line unless I override by dialing 9 first
(because we pay per call on the POTS line so I want to know I'm doing
it rather than have asterisk do it for me if the VOIP line is already
in use.)

- - -

What I'm looking to do is keep the functionality above but drop the
POTS line and add a SunRocket line also terminated with a VOIP adapter
just like the VoicePulse line. Although the net connection will be a
single point of failure, at least I'll have two different VOIP
providers for some redundancy.

I'd like to:
  - ring all extensions when a call comes in either VOIP line.
  - distinctive ring for calls coming in the SunRocket line (which
Asterisk will know by the port that the line comes in on.)
  - do not disturb functionality to disable all extensions from
ringing by dialing a *XX number from any phone in the house. Ability
to toggle ringing back on easily.
  - dial out any available line (now that both are VOIP)

Easy to do with TrixBox or better off installing the latest Asterisk
and doing it through the command line and configuration file
interface?

Thanks!

PS - Oddly, the SunRocket VOIP adapter doesn't seem to give a dialtone
but a regular old phone works fine when connected to it. Will this
cause problems for Asterisk?