[asterisk-users] Too Many Open Files, Hung SIP Sessions, Can I Increase File Count?

phil.dawson at marnock.com phil.dawson at marnock.com
Wed Mar 21 17:55:45 MST 2007

Here's a snippet taken from the readme.

* FILE DESCRIPTORS

  Depending on the size of your system and your configuration,
Asterisk can consume a large number of file descriptors.  In UNIX,
file descriptors are used for more than just files on disk.  File
descriptors are also used for handling network communication
(e.g. SIP, IAX2, or H.323 calls) and hardware access (e.g. analog and
digital trunk hardware).  Asterisk accesses many on-disk files for
everything from configuration information to voicemail storage.

  Most systems limit the number of file descriptors that Asterisk can
have open at one time.  This can limit the number of simultaneous
calls that your system can handle.  For example, if the limit is set
at 1024 (a common default value) Asterisk can handle approxiately 150
SIP calls simultaneously.  To change the number of file descriptors
follow the instructions for your system below:

== PAM-based Linux System ==

  If your system uses PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules) edit
/etc/security/limits.conf.  Add these lines to the bottom of the file:

root            soft    nofile          4096
root            hard    nofile          8196
asterisk        soft    nofile          4096
asterisk        hard    nofile          8196

(adjust the numbers to taste).  You may need to reboot the system for
these changes to take effect.

== Generic UNIX System ==

  If there are no instructions specifically adapted to your system
above you can try adding the command "ulimit -n 8192" to the script
that starts Asterisk.

Phil.

             "JR Richardson"
             <jmr.richardson at g
             mail.com>                                                  To
             Sent by:                  <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
             asterisk-users-bo                                          cc
             unces at lists.digiu
             m.com                                                 Subject
                                       [asterisk-users] Too Many Open
                                       Files, Hung SIP Sessions,     Can I
             22/03/2007 00:24          Increase File Count?

             Please respond to
              Asterisk Users
              Mailing List -
              Non-Commercial
                Discussion
             <asterisk-users at l
             ists.digium.com>

Hi All,

Something happened on one of my 1.2.9.1 systems, SIP between * and Cisco
Call Manager 4.1, leaving hung or open SIP sessions.  No problem now, we
found and corrected the problem.  But while these hung sessions were
increasing to around 480 to 500 sessions, I started getting “too many open
files” on the asterisk console and sporadically could not establish new SIP
connections.

Now, there was not a dead halt, some SIP sessions could still connect but I
had to restart * to clear out all the hung sessions.

I remember something about being able to setup * with increased file count.
Not sure exactly what this refers to but can someone point me in the right
direction?

Or am I on the wrong track?

Thanks.

JR