[asterisk-users] Nomination for Coolest App in 2007

Yuan LIU yliu11 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 16 15:22:54 MST 2007

>From: Brad Templeton <brad+aster at templetons.com>
>Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 13:37:55 -0700
>
>On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 09:37:45AM -0500, Steve Totaro wrote:
> >
> > Another interesting (from an American's perspective anyways) is that
> > inbound calls on cell phones are free.  Even if you buy a SIM with a
> > little pre-paid time and use up the time, you can still receive inbound
> > calls for free for a couple months.
>
>Inbound calls on cell phones outside North America are alas, not
>free, though people pretend they are free.   They are "caller pays
>for airtime."   The only free incoming call systems I have seen
>are some mobile to mobile free call plans, and a small number of
>North American mobile plans that, for a flat monthly or daily
>fee, offer free incoming.

Several carriers in Canada offer first-minute incoming free.  Quite an
interesting concept from consumer's perspective.

>The caller-pays system found outside North America is, in
>my view -- though I know some differ -- one of the last, great
>curses of old world telephony on our new environment.

This debate came up in several places and the verdict is not crystal clear.
Do you realize that caller-pays system also effectively reduces spam - or at
least make it less painful?  Especially with SMS, people who carries a
mobile phone could easily be targeted by marketers and PAY for it! (I'm
starting to see voice telemarketers calling to people's cell phones these
days.)  Considering per-minute cost in a mobile network is still much higher
than that in PSTN, you can't deny advantages of a caller-pays system.

Yuan Liu