[asterisk-users] voip-info.org status update

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Thu Mar 15 09:50:05 MST 2007

I completely agree with the cheap hosting commments - my company competes
against it all the time. Things go bad with the host in one way or another,
sites move, and the cycle repeats. Is that how someone reputable wants
to run a
business moving their site around every couple months when things break
? Or do
people want a company that is reliable and actually strives to deliver
a decent
SLA ?

As for the hosting of voip-info, I don't see anything wrong with the model of
providing something useful for free but sprinkling a few ads through it
to help
pay for the costs. Yes its annoying when something you rely on is not
available,
but what right has anyone got to complain that is not paying to have it
available ?

Maybe a better situation would be to partner with at least one more person or
group that has hosting capacity, and split revenue in some manner to
offset the
costs, and have it hosted at at least 2 locations to guard against
disaster, but
with a wiki its not all that simple since its updating all the time, and
straight mirrors won't work. Something to look into, but it would take even
more volunteer hours to setup.

A service my company offers (I am not trying to plug myself, but simply
offering
an alternative to the way it is now) is called "livebackup". Hosting is all
setup for a mirror of the complete setup which is copied over at some
interval.
Should problems arise with the primary site that can't be fixed
quickly, dns is
simply changed to point to the backup site and it operates as if it was the
primary. This is meant to cover these sorts of situations where a disaster is
not quickly recoverable, but running two sites in parallel has other issues
which make it too complicated for anything without a super high budget.

Quoting shadowym <shadowym at hotmail.com>:

> A percentage of all my profits go back to the community.
>
> What about you?

Jon Pounder

   _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/

Inline Internet Systems Inc.
Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
www.inline.net
www.ihtml.com
www.ihtmlmerchant.com
www.opayc.com