[asterisk-users] FW: Seamless Multi Office Asterisk Deployment

Bruce Reeves asterisk at nortex-networks.com
Thu Mar 15 08:43:44 MST 2007

Brandon,

What it sounds like you are looking at as far as having the phones
register to the system and then have users login to a phone should be
possible, I have not tried. I would suspect that you could build a
dial plan menu to prompt the caller for their credentials and then
take the phone's identification and add an entry to a database for
that phone and the caller id, extension, voice mail box etc.. You
could then use the realtime engine to query the table for the
information when an extension is dialed. Doing the login through a
sort of IVR would make it hardware independent.

One note on the QOS, You might be right about it being okay with only
3 calls at a time, but I would offer this example. We us a MPLS
network, in which most site have 384k and our main sites have 1.5mb.
When I first placed a test call over the link using gsm from a 384
site to the main site, they had no issues, but I had terrible problems
with audio being dropped or delayed and playing over top itself. I
implemented QOS because the connection is not only for voice, so I
could at least give priority to my audio and set aside bandwidth for
it.

On your time frame, it is hard to say, your users and existing
hardware and training all factor into it. Having done asterisk systems
before, I have deployed small sites, like 2-5 people in very short
time frames, typically a few days building the system off site and
testing then a week or less on site dealing with wiring, setup/testing
and training. On a site of your size I would almost consider spending
a couple weeks on site.

You mentioned trixbox, I started with A at H myself and must say it was a
great thrill to place a call between two softphones after a hour or
so. But what I eventually realized was that if I had to troubleshoot
the dialplan I was going to be lost in macros and AGI. I started out
writing my configs and then using svn repositories for each site and
copying in a base config for each new site. Worked great for a while
and I knew the dialplan inside out. I'm now moving more and more to
realtime and database storage for config files and dialplan sections
which make managing multiple sites config files much easier. Also the
use of Dundi in A at H was not through the GUI, and I understood it much
better once I began using the files. The bottom line: in my experience
A at H/Trixbox/freepbx are great ways to get your feet wet and are a
proof of concept and even great for a basic system, but for what you
are wanting to do and what I did. Asterisk is the only way to go. If
your worried about not knowing enough, goto a bootcamp or some other
training. If you want ease administration for several IT people, then
you could look at some of the web interfaces that connect and edit the
conf files.

Hope that helps

Bruce
Nortex Networks