[asterisk-users] voip-info.org status update

Walt Reed asterisk at linuxguy.com
Thu Mar 15 07:58:08 MST 2007

On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 08:08:57AM -0600, Joe Greco said:
> Anyone who's been in the industry for any length of time will have
> stories.  Some of them even interesting.  I remember a few years ago
> when the roof/wall of an AT&T data center was destroyed during a storm.

Yep.

Ashburn VA datacenter. Tornado hit it. Water was pouring in on someone's
servers, and surprisingly they didn't go down! AT&T did bring them down
due to safety concerns.

Our servers, in that datacenter, were unaffected and had zero downtime.
Most of the damage was to unoccupied portions of the datacenter.

I've also had multiple drives fail simultaineously on a 0+1 Raid. It
totally sucks when it happens. One online spare was not enough and
didn't have time to rebuild before the second and third drives failed.
We did have backups and were able to restore everything within 4 hours,
but we still lost some data between the last backup the night before and
when the drives failed. These were not cheapo IDE drives either, they
were server grade scsi (HP branded Seagates.)