[asterisk-users] voip-info.org status update

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Thu Mar 15 07:08:57 MST 2007

> Hard to expect the business community to take Asterisk seriously when this
> sort of stuff happens IMHO.  I can't understand how 3 of 4 hard drives could
> just suddenly fail simultaneously.  There must be more too it.  No UPS?
> Someone spilled their coffee into it?  Something!

Sure, there always is.  For example, from our own little cache of stories:

Bad component in the power supply blows, momentarily spiking voltages
throughout the server.

Colo cooling failed and temps rose ten degrees, baking the drives a bit.

Someone let slip with a cart and banged into the rack.

Drives were spinning continuously for several years, and then power went
out.  Two of four don't spin back up.

Anyone who's been in the industry for any length of time will have
stories.  Some of them even interesting.  I remember a few years ago
when the roof/wall of an AT&T data center was destroyed during a storm.

> Either way, it's amateur hour!
>
> If I can't be confident enough in an important source of information like
> this then I can't be confident enough to provide an Asterisk solution to
> businesses.  That's the way I see it.  Yea, it's a wiki but it's the best
> source of info out there.

If you're not smart enough to have a local snapshot of anything that is
critical to what you're providing to customers, then, well, you're right,
it *is* amateur hour.

As for voip-info.org, I cannot comprehend why you would attack a very nice
public service in this manner.  Perhaps I am mistaken, but I thought that
it was a general VOIP resource, not specific to Asterisk.  While I have
found it a very convenient interface to Asterisk information, you seem to
be suggesting that it is the only source of information.  It is not.

We ought to all be thanking the fine folks at voip-info.org for their
fantastic store of information.  Hopefully, if there is any need for
assistance to cover additional backup hosting, cash to cover the expense
of new drives, or whatever they happen to need, they'll post here and
let us all know.  We're happy to make a no-strings-attached contribution
of some sort, because the resource has been quite useful over the years.

... JG