[asterisk-users] DECT to SIP gateway experiences

Henning Holtschneider henning at loca.net
Thu Mar 15 06:01:08 MST 2007

Am Thu, 15 Mar 2007 14:32:28 +1100
schrieb Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net>:

> It seems to me that a direct SIP to DECT gateway could have
> significant advantages in terms of supporting the MWI (voicemail)
> indicator on the DECT phone directly -- there just isn't any way I
> could trigger it on any of the analog sets I have at the moment.
>
> Unfortunately I can't local any information on this; the documentation
> for the Zyxel DECT gateways and Siemens Gigaset DECT bases don't say
> *anything* about their supporting MWI hardware from a SIP server.

The MWI depends on the vendor who implements this feature. IIRC, MWI is
not part of the DECT specifiations so you won't find any generic
information regarding this topic.

> The other killer feature that a DECT base could theoretically offer is
> some sort of soft menu system -- ADSI, XML, or whatever.

Theoretically! The soft menus that you see on DECT handsets are
proprietary so they don't work with 3rd party DECT base stations.

> So, can anyone comment on support for MWI in the SIP DECT gateways?
> How about soft menu support?

MWI works on the KIRK Wireless gateways we are using. There is support
for soft menus which come from the DECT base but they cannot be sent by
the SIP server. MWI only works on KIRK handsets; our attempts with
Siemens and Philips handsets were unsuccessful.

Best regards,
Henning Holtschneider
--
LocaNet oHG - http://www.loca.net
Lindemannstrasse 81, D-44137 Dortmund
sip 25 at voip.loca.net

Registergericht Amtsgericht Dortmund HRA 14208
Geschäftsführer Sven Haufe, Henning Holtschneider