[asterisk-users] DECT to SIP gateway experiences

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Wed Mar 14 20:32:28 MST 2007

G'day.  I hope this isn't off-topic for the list.

I am looking at an Asterisk setup that includes cordless phones.  The
three choices I can see, at this stage, are:

 * wifi phones
 * an ATA and a cordless analog phone
 * a DECT to SIP basestation

The various wifi phone options don't grab us as suitable -- they are
costly, have poor battery life and even the best have pretty mixed
reviews.  They just don't, at least in Australia, compare well to the
non-wifi options.

I know a lot of people have success with an ATA and a standard analog
cordless phone.  We figure that is the fallback, but:

It seems to me that a direct SIP to DECT gateway could have significant
advantages in terms of supporting the MWI (voicemail) indicator on the
DECT phone directly -- there just isn't any way I could trigger it on
any of the analog sets I have at the moment.

Unfortunately I can't local any information on this; the documentation
for the Zyxel DECT gateways and Siemens Gigaset DECT bases don't say
*anything* about their supporting MWI hardware from a SIP server.

The other killer feature that a DECT base could theoretically offer is
some sort of soft menu system -- ADSI, XML, or whatever.

That would make for extremely nice integration with the CallerID
database in Asterisk, voicemail, etc.

So, can anyone comment on support for MWI in the SIP DECT gateways?
How about soft menu support?

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
                 http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/