[asterisk-users] asterisk on mini-itx

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Sun Mar 11 12:10:57 MST 2007

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007, Mail Lists wrote:

> Is your GUI something you wrote yourself or something that's commercially
> available?

I wrote it myself, and it's not currently avalable in any format other
than that I supply it with the boxes I install...

It's tightly coupled with the dialplan and imposes a lot of restrctions on
how things work in /etc/asterisk - but I suppose that's no different to
FreePBX in a way. I do have "hooks" into the dialplan to edit in stuff by
hand in the appropriate place - basically #includes at strategic places
which includes files that are normally empty, but you can go in with an
editor (only have nano, vi takes too much space )-: and put stuff in them
for site sepcific stuff.

So at one point in extensions.conf, there is

#include "extensions.conf.dialExtras"

and for one site that file contains:

   ; dial 1571 on Zap 3
   exten => 1571,1,Dial(Zap/3/1571)
   exten => 1571,n,Hangup()

because Zap/3 is their main incoming line and they need to dial 1571
directly on it. (Zap/4 and Zap/3 are normally dialed as G1, so Zap/4 has
priority, but Zap/3 is their main published line and 1571 is the BT
callminder service, so they need to dial it to get messages left on the BT
service...

So that's the sort of thing I envisage being part of a "professional
installation" ...

> I'm using freePBX on all of my installs and while it lets you do almost
> everything from the interface I've come to find it's not very
> user-friendly for novices not to mention having to have mysql as a
> back-end. I've been looking for a leaner - more simplistic GUI but
> haven't really come across anything. Maybe Digiums own GUI will meet the
> needs for this at some point..

I looked at FreePBX, but it didn't feel quite right for what I wanted, and
not wanting to dive in & hack someone else's code, I wrote my own. It's
quite simplistic, but does everything that I wanted (and what my clients
wanted which is more important. It hides lots of things - eg. it just
refers to extensions, not SIP or IAX accounts, and has non telco terms for
other things that your average office manager(ess) would understand
without requiring a telco geek.

I designed it to be "professionally installed", (ie. you need to do
command-line stuff to run fxotune) but gave it enough flexabiltiy to let
the office manager(ess) add/remove/rename extensions, set outgoing call
access levels, allow people to connect in with SIP or IAX clients without
really knowing the technology underneath. (nor the names - I create a SIP
and IAX accounts for everyone and arrange both to get called for the same
number, but it's just "an extension" to the person setting it up)

Gordon